“After the tour, I started meeting with him regularly to do Harley trips, and over a bottle of whiskey we both talked about doing something together, starting a business … Let’s make a coffee machine that’s connected, that uses your patent.
If you’re into coffee, you may own a variety of equipment: grinder, coffee dripper, french press, an expresso machine .. what if it could all be replaced by one, smart machine?
Roderick de Rode is making it a reality with his Spinn machine. (Check out the video)
He got his first investment at Rockefeller Plaza; an investment banker there gave him $25K.
In the past, Roderick has successfully built and managed $100M+ businesses in hardware, software and online services.
We talk about the machine, entrepreneurship, and, of course, the second most traded commodity in the world, coffee:
- How they evolved the idea from a patent into a soon to be retail machine
- The downside to Keurig machines
- The second and third wave of coffee
- Why the machine will sync with local coffee roasters
- The upcoming crowdfunding campaign
- Why hardware is .. hard
- A brilliant gamification strategy for their audience (take notes)
- The invaluable learnings from their hardware advisory team
- Looking back what he would have done differently
- Roderick’s advice for food startups