I’m so proud to have Dominique Barnes and Michelle Wolf on the show. They are the founders of New Wave Foods. They create seafood in a lab not the ocean. Their first product is recreating shrimp using plant proteins and marine algae. This interview blew my mind.
Fresh out of IndieBio, a biotech accelerator, and a $250,000 grant, they are currently raising capital with investors. The first customer: Google. The lead vegan chef at Googleplex put in an order for 200 pounds.
The environmental and social issues of commercial seafood production are numerous and serious. It is precisely what makes New Wave so important. Listen to their story and be inspired:
- The why behind New Wave Foods
- Getting the texture and nutritional profile right
- Demo day @ IndieBio
- Fundraising, marketing, and their blueprint to grow the company
- Stopping slave labor + shrimp fishing
- The muscular structure of a shrimp
- Why marine algae is amazing
- Behind the scenes of the day-to-day @ New Wave Foods
- On being founders AND roommates