In spite of the risk of contamination via poisonous resin, the cashew nut has been a popular commodity worldwide. But did you know that there is a fruit attached to the nut? A business established by the Clinton Foundation is working with Pepsi to turn the cashew fruit into a beverage in India. Covered in the show:
- History of the cashew in South America, Africa, and India
- Why the cashew fruit has been left as waste
- Is it better suited as a domestic product (farmed, produced and sold in the same country)?
- The health benefits of the cashew fruit
- Can it become the “next” superfood?
Note : In the episode, we use “cashew fruit” and “cashew apple”. They are the same (see those green and red things in the photo above?)